Are you looking to spy on your neighbors? Perhaps you are interested in something they are doing – maybe you need to confirm your suspicions.
Either way, a telescope can help.
Besides, they are much more powerful than the naked eye alone.
But you don’t want anything too powerful either. Or otherwise, it just isn’t going to work.
So with this in mind, let us look at your best options then turn to why!
Top Three Picks
LANDOVE 20 Spotting Scope
The editor’s choice and one to get.
- Coaxial dual speed focus system - Spotting scopes use higher-precision focusing design, more precise locking of focus details, effective saving of focusing operation time. To focus the coarse adjustment knob for basic clear range, then rotate the fine adjustment knobgets more detail.
- Large diameter high configuration eyepiece - Variable 20x to 60x magnification makes it easy to zoom in onto your target to view a wide field. HD 24mm 2inch big eyepiece and 45 degree angled eyepiece ergonomic allows more comfortable and profession. Eyepiece used laser engraving,long term use will not fade.
- High-quality optical system design - 80mm big objective lens get more light flux and clearer image. Fully multi-coated optics with BAK4 Porro Prism and 9pcs/4groups lens increase light transmission, deliver bright, clear, crisp images even in low-light conditions.
- Advanced detail design - Rotating rubber eyecup for comfortable viewing with or without glasses. Extinction lines in front of objective lens and scalable sunshade of the objective lens reduces glare and increase color restoration degree. Nitrogen filled waterproof and fog-proof design adapt to all kinds of harsh environments. High quality rubber outer layer, non-slip, shockproof and easy to grip, and provides lasting protection.
- New Design Large smartphone adapter - Comes with a New Design Large smartphone digiscoping adapter,enables you to take photos and videos of what you have observed. Spotting scopes for target shooting , archery, hunting, bird watching, wildlife watching, hiking, camping, scenery, outdoor sporting, astronomical observation etc.
👍 Easy to set up and can be done so quickly,
👍 Suitable for use while wearing glasses (eye or sunglasses)
👍 Nitrogen purged for water and fog proofing
👍 Dual focusing dials for precision crispness
👎 Slightly pricier than the other options.
Celestron Landscout Spotting Scope
The budget-friendly choice and one to consider.
- Fully Coated Optics: Increased light transmission for bright, sharp images.
- Compact, Lightweight
- Rotating tripod mount
- 12-36x Zoom Eyepiece: Adjustable magnification
- Large focus wheel with rubber grip
👍 Small and lightweight,
👍 Close focusing distance is a bit longer than other scopes,
👍 Excellent optics at a much more affordable price point.
👎 The focus ring is a little stiff to turn,
👎 Focusing can take a couple of seconds, resulting in missed shots or views,
👎 Shorter eye relief makes it less viable for eyeglass wearers.
Vortex Solo Monocular
The alternative choice and one alternate means of spying.
- 10x magnification and 36mm objectives lens, the Solo Monocular is a small, lightweight optic with fully multi-coated lenses, increasing the light transmission and resolution giving you the clear, crisp images you want.
- The monocular is fully rubber armored providing a non-slip grip to the user and making it extremely durable.
- Nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed, the Solo delivers waterproof and fogproof performance in any environment.
- The adjustable eyecup allows for comfortable viewing with or without glasses.
- The 36mm Solo comes with a versatile, multi-position utility clip for quick attachment to your equipment or clothing.
👍 Handheld and lightweight. Includes a non-slip grip.
👍 Very well made and sturdy,
👍 No protective caps makes it ideal for practical carry and quick use,
👍 The eye relief is good with or without glasses.
👎 No protective caps make it bad for storage, transportation, or for keeping in optimal condition,
👎 The focus wheel is a little stiff
What Makes A Good Telescope For Spying On Neighbors
A good telescope for spying on your neighbors is one that is portable, quick to use, has crisp optics, is not going to cost you too much.
Let us look through each one in further detail:
If you want to catch a glimpse of what is happening next door, you need to be able to remain fully mobile.
You may need a different angle, and a telescope that is portable and can be used around the home is what you need.
So, the best telescopes for spying are naturally compact, lightweight, and either do not come with a mount/tripod or can be easily detached.
Telescopes that provide sufficient, without too much magnification, and accompanying objective lenses will ensure you get clarity when spying.
Multi-coated lenses will ensure you get the best light transmission in all different lightings and will ensure you get the clear, crisp images you desire.
At the same time, waterproof and fog-proof features will ensure your views are not reduced in any conditions – whether inside or outside.
Spying on your neighbors needn’t need to be overly expensive.
Powerful telescopes to observe the night sky can run into the thousands, but you can find much more affordable options when it comes to simple over fence land-viewing.
Durability and Comfort
Whether it is eye relief or the general design, you want to purchase a telescope that is comfortable to hold in your hands and around your eyes.
Spotting Scope vs Minocular
The two options presented here today are spotting scopes and minoculars.
Essentially the main difference is that a spotting scope comes with a small, sturdy mount and tripod whereas a minocular is handheld.
Both have their uses, and what you decide to get will come down to personal preferences and how you want to spy.
Spotting scopes are generally better for longer periods of spying, whereas minoculars are great for on-the-go and quick glimpses.
If you want to spy on your neighbors then it is essential that you purchase the right equipment to do so.
The three options presented here today are all excellent for this particular use case.
And you won’t go wrong with any one of them.
That being said, the LANDOVE 20 Spotting Scope came out on top for me. So that’s the one I would get if you
And if you want some other reviews from other customers, head over to the product page on Amazon.
You’ll get a great idea of what to expect from this best-selling spying scope there.
Even if that isn’t what this scope was initially designed for!
Or, if you are looking for something even more portable, then do consider a pair of binoculars for spying instead.
Hey, my name is Jeremy. I’m a passionate and seasoned astronomer who loves nothing more than observing the night sky. I also love researching, learning, and writing all things Space and the Universe. I created Astronomy Scope to share my knowledge, experience, suggestions, and recommendations of what I have learned along the way while helping anyone to get into and maximize their enjoyment of the hobby.